Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Colors of Life



[Photo Courtesy : Google Image Search]


It is not always this colorful. There are times when it is a little bright, when the force of nature is strong enough to force open the crack a little. But that has happened only three or four times so far and I don’t see it happening again. Otherwise it is mostly pitch dark. Dark enough to be considered a night. But it’s been so long since I saw daylight, I have lost the sense of time. But not today…

I had woken up to a shrieking sound. It had been so loud that my ears had started hurting. My awakening senses had told me that it had been my own shriek. When I had realized why I shrieked it made me want to shriek all over again.

I can still remember that day. We were supposed to have dinner together at Leela’s. “Nothing fancy honey, Just a small dinner to celebrate our reunion” I had told her on the phone. I could almost see her beaming at the phone. She knew it would be anything but small. Last year, just before I left, she had asked me to give her something through which she can remember me by and I had decorated our entire living room wall with all our pictures – right from our college days till last week when we had been to Ooty for our honeymoon.


‘Every time you miss me, just look at these pictures and remember all the wonderful moments that we have shared together. And if you still miss me, then good. I will feel bad if you don’t !’

The look on her face when she saw that was more worth than anything that she could have given to me in return. If I knew that was the last time I would be looking at her face, then I would have looked at it a little longer.

It had been almost eight months since I had seen her and I couldn't wait to get back to her.

‘Small and you? That’s highly impossible… Huh? Your son says that daddy is lying’

‘Daughter, not son. I have told you it will be a daughter. And tell him… no her that daddy never lies. He just modifies the truth sometimes to surprise mommy!’

OK OK… It’s a daughter. Now keep the phone and get back here soon. We both are missing you’

Miss you too. See you tomorrow. Bye’

Click! That was the last thing I had said to her. ‘See you tomorrow’. That tomorrow is yet to come.

After that call I had boarded the ill-fated plane back to Bangalore. My smile must have stayed on after the call because people sitting next to me immediately responded to my look with a warm smile. I was still smiling when the first wave of turbulence started. None of us except the first timers gave it a second thought. Then a second wave started and I could see most of the passengers getting up from their sleep. But still none of us were concerned as this was common. Not necessarily good, but common.
Suddenly there was a crackling sound and the sound of air rushing in. Before we could react the body of the plane tilted and life inside the plane was thrown out of gear. The oxygen masks apparently had popped open but gravity was keeping it to the now upside down roof as the plane made full use of this new found freedom to fall free. During all of this a sharp piece of metal cut loose from somewhere and landed right into my face and my eyes were too dazed to react. A searing pain spread through my face and soon took over the whole of my body. I gave out a deathly shriek. My whole body started jerking desperately trying to free my still latched seat belt after realizing that my hands were stuck, but the belt wouldn't budge. Just as I was about to give up, the door gave way and a gush of air rushed into the plane sending a fresh panic wave to everyone inside. There was chaos everywhere as some of the seat belts cut loose and people were flayed from their seats and fell through the open door.

My seat belt suddenly cut loose and I started falling towards the door. I didn't care. All I wanted to do at that point in time was to cover my face. The pain was just unbearable. As soon as I lifted my hands to cover my face, I realized that I had gone right through the open door….


Looking back now, I think that was what saved me. If I hadn't fallen right through the open door, I wouldn't be here. Very few of us survived the crash And those who did, just barely made out alive. We were rescued by the Coast Guard and taken to the Navy hospital. The doctors said that I was lucky to have lived after that horrendous fall.

‘When that seat belt cut, you were a hundred feet above the sea. You fell from a hundred feet into the freezing sea and you survived. You know the chances of that happening? Zero. What can you call it other than a miracle?’

When I finally went home after a year of treatment and therapy, I couldn't be a happier person. I am home, I thought. After all that has happened, I am home. Every day since that has been a gift. And I keep telling myself that everyday lest I forget…

‘Daddy daddy.. See this drawing that I have done. Isn't it colorful..?’

Sweetie don’t you know that daddy cannot see? Why don’t you tell him what all you have drawn?’

‘Huh ok.. There is a garden and lots of flowers … Red roses, Yellow lilies and pink…..’

It had never been so colorful…. I knew that it would be as beautiful as my child’s face. How I wish I could see her face at least one time. May be next time I told to myself. May be next time the force of nature will be strong enough to open that crack a little more.

13 comments:

Rahul Nair on July 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM said...

Well written Man..
Thats the how Fate rolls the dice. One moment you are near the next you are far, farther than you can imagine. Its like fate has a dice marked from one to infinity.

Srivatsa Kondapalli on July 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM said...

Beautiful write up dude...Probably, the best blog of yours (or may be overall) so far!!

The part which I liked the most was
"
‘Daddy daddy.. See this drawing that I have done. Isn't it colorful..?’

‘Sweetie don’t you know that daddy cannot see? Why don’t you tell him what all you have drawn?’
"

Chandan Prabhudeva on July 22, 2008 at 11:26 PM said...

@Rahul : Fate does roll a dice and each time it does you are left wondering what is gonna happen next.. If life is predictable, then it isn't a life.. I should probably add this one to my Random Quotes!

@Srivatsa: Thanks for your kind words.. I don't know if it is the best, but yeah when I started writing this one, I was thinking of Nicholas Spark's novels (Notebook, A Walk to Remember etc..).. That's why I wanted to keep this as an emotional one...

Priyanka Malkan on July 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM said...

i agree with srivatsa. Your best. Kept on reading till i reached the end. Not at all boring! One of those stories u wont stop reading until u reach the end.
I like the descriptive style. The paragraph on the aeroplane describing the turbulence is great.
The beginning and end is well connected with the colors theme.
Well done. Hoping to see more of this!

Manjunath RG on July 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM said...

Dude ur writing skills have grown tremendously..! You are becoming a professional..! Life is teaching u many lessons as it teaches everyone... some lessons the easier way and some the hard way...!!! :)

Chandan Prabhudeva on July 23, 2008 at 9:35 PM said...

@Priya: Thanks for being a sweetheart! I know how hard it is for you :P
Jokes apart, thanks for showing interest in this poor man's blog. As I have said in one of my comments before, ,YOU are fuel to my blogging!

@Manja :Thanks maga. Some lessons are learnt that hard way - Hmm I liked that line. It's giving me ideas for my next post. Will keep you posted if that idea grows further! Again thanks for visiting my blog.

Tony on July 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM said...

This was too good! Wish i could write like this! Perfectly done! - and the way u've explained their love 4 each other! - really good - experience comes in handy huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting story and keeps you on the hooks till the end.. The narration of the events inside the plane made me feel as if it were a real experience..

Hope to see more such stories..

Rajesh

Anonymous said...

Dude..Really good story ...I wonder whats the daughter`s name....Dhrishti?

Chandan Prabhudeva on August 2, 2008 at 10:51 PM said...

@Tony : Welcome aboard dude... Thanks for your lovely comments.. I hope I can keep up with your expectations :)

@Rajesh : Thanks a lot for taking time out to read my blog and thanks for your encouraging words.. I hope I can live upto the expectation..

@Mahesh : Thanks maga.. The daughter's name eh? Never thought of that. But I literally felt depressed while writing that line where she asks her father to see her drawing! And yeah, I read your blog but forgot to give my comments.. Will give it soon :)

the stygian sailor on August 7, 2008 at 12:59 AM said...

hi maga.
good piece. keep it up. next ond happy ending irodu bari

Chandan Prabhudeva on August 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM said...

@Stygian:
thanks maga.. happy ending eh? Will think about that.. But I somehow like sad endings more :o Thanks for taking time off to read my post :)

Unruly Rebel on August 8, 2010 at 4:32 AM said...

hey nice post..pleasure to read..

namit
do visit http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=28218
provide your feedback and do promote it if you like it...

Post a Comment

Your valuable feedback?

Followers

Sponsors

 

As the wind blows. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com